Sunday, September 8, 2013

Starting School
    I started classes two weeks ago here at the University of Oslo.  My schedule has been rearranged somewhat, but now it is all settled in.  I am taking three courses now; Marine Benthic Ecology, Marine Environmental Issues, and Glaciology.  The glaciology course does not start for a few more weeks, then has more hours of lecture per week.  That's good, because I am using the time to read up on the subject.  I have had courses in the marine biology classes, and it looks like they're going to go very well.
    Classes here are set up a little differently then they are at home; there is more of an emphasis on at home work, and not all that much lecture.  I normally have 6-8 hours of lecture in a week, with the occasional lab.  However, there is the expectation that we will do quite a bit of outside work and research.  It is not more difficult than class at home, but the emphasis is a bit different, so it may take a little getting used to.
   One of the other different things is that some courses have field components.  Last week, we went to a biological station to do field work for Marine Benthic Ecology.

No comments:

Post a Comment